About the Treatment
Over the years, Cancer has been the leading cause of death and millions across the world get diagnosed with cancer each day. As a matter of fact, every sixth death worldwide can be attributed to cancer. This has resulted in cancer being positioned as the second leading cause of death after cardiovascular diseases. (Source: Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), Global Burden of Disease (GBD)) In the year 2017 alone, it has been estimated that ~9.6 million individuals died due to the occurrence of several types of cancer. While any person can go on to develop cancer, it’s usually shown to be common as people get older – most diagnosed cases have been reported in people aged 50 or over.
Oncology can be described as a specialized branch of medicine which deals with the identification, management, and treatment of various types of tumors and cancers. If you break down the word Oncology, Onco literally translates to mass or tumor while logy can be described as a study. Therefore, a doctor or a physician who manages a person's cancer treatment and works in the field of oncology can be termed as an oncologist.
Areas of Care/Types of Condition
At Fortis, we are known to provide world-class, state-of-the-art, and compassionate oncologist specialist care for all individuals affected by cancer. Thereon, our team of experts is 100 percent committed to providing our patients with the best treatment options by opting for an evidence-based and individualized approach. Further, there are various types of oncologists who specialize in different areas of oncology which are listed below:
• Medical oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment using chemotherapy or other medications can be described as a medical oncologist.
• Surgical oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment by performing biopsies and removing the tumor and underlying affected tissues with the aid of surgery can be described as a surgical oncologist.
• Hematologist-oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment by diagnosing and treating blood cancers, including the likes of lymphoma, leukemia, and myeloma can be termed as a hematologist-oncologist
• Gynecologic oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment affecting the female reproductive organs such as ovarian, cervical, uterine and vaginal cancers can be described as a gynecologic oncologist.
• Radiation oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment by making use of radiation therapy can be described as a radiation oncologist.
• Pediatric oncologist – a physician/doctor who specializes in cancer treatment in children can be described as a pediatric oncologist.
Most types of cancer can be treated or even cured if detected early. That said, cancer has been dubbed ‘the silent killer’ as it showcases few obvious symptoms or can be often mistaken for other benign conditions as well. However, by staying vigilant and keeping an eye out for symptoms, one can significantly reduce the chances of developing cancer. Visiting your doctor regularly and getting your routine check-up will also go a long way in keeping cancer at bay. Listed below are some of the common symptoms that are usually associated which you should keep an eye out for:
• Unexplained weight loss
• Heavy night sweats
• Presence of blood in urine and stools
• Persistent cough
• Formation of unusual lumps especially around the chest region
• Indigestion or difficulty in swallowing
• Wounds that don’t heal
• Unusual changes in the breast
• Loss of appetite
• Sudden change in bowel habits
• Ulcers that don’t heal
• The sudden emergence of new warts/moles or changes in their appearance
• Hoarseness in the voice
• Bleeding or bruising easily
While some symptoms are more prominent and indicative of cancer such as a lump, others are less so. However, you need to stay alert and report any sudden changes in your body which aren't normal for you to your doctor at the earliest.
On noticing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, we strongly advise you to visit our facilities without another moment of hesitation. Our team of oncologists usually diagnose cancer out via biopsy, endoscopy, X-ray, CT scanning, MRI, PET scanning, ultrasound or other radiological methods. In addition, we will also ask you to furnish details about your medical history, family history, any medications you might be currently taking, lifestyle habits, allergies, etc. Blood tests along with tumor markers might also be ordered while in some cases, we might even suggest the use of nuclear medicine to confirm the presence or absence of cancer.
If the presence of cancer has been detected, that information will be relayed to you sensitively. The next step would involve determining the stage of your cancer to analyze how advanced it is. This will also help us in figuring out the apt mode of treatment and accordingly, ensure you have the best possible solutions presented to you.
We understand that go through a cancer diagnosis can easily be one of the most tensing and difficult moments you’ll ever have to go through. This is a time that thousands of thoughts and worst-case scenarios must be running through your head. We would like to assure that it's totally normal to go through such emotions. We stand by you every step of the way to ensure that your care and treatment is our immediate priority and accordingly present timely solutions no matter how advanced the cancer is. Rest assured, you’re always in the best of hands.
At Fortis Malar, our facilitating the best-in-class treatment for our patients is our number one priority and at the core of everything we do. We strongly subscribe to the belief that individuals affected with this terrible condition should have access to the best possible treatments available. We seek not only to treat cancer but also the person which is why we make use of the latest proven treatment technologies coupled with a holistic approach to deliver outstanding care.
Our team sits down with you and discusses all relevant treatment options before developing an individual treatment plan that is tailor-made for your case. Moreover, we respect your privacy, which is why all our consultations are done under strict confidential guidelines. We want to help you understand the various treatment options at your disposal before you arrive for treatment at Fortis.
• Chemotherapy – A widely used treatment for cancer, chemotherapy entails the use of certain specialized anticancer drugs in order to slow down or inhibit the growth of rapidly multiplying cancer cells present in the body.
• Radiation Therapy – Radiation therapy – also termed as radiotherapy – can be described as a type of cancer treatment which makes use of high doses of radiation to destroy cancer cells and reduce tumors.
• Surgical Therapy – Another common method, surgery is often regarded as the first treatment option for many malignant tumors. It’s used to treat cancer by getting rid of the cancerous mass or tumor as well as the surrounding tissues with the aid of surgery.
• Targeted Therapy – Targeted involves the use of drugs or other substances to attack cancer cells while avoiding much damage to normal cells. This is because it specifically identifies and targets the cancer cells, blocks their growth and prevents the spread of cancer by stopping them from growing and multiplying.
• Immunotherapy – Also described as biologic therapy, immunotherapy can be termed as boosting, stimulating, and enhancing the body's defenses to fight cancer.
Other popular procedures and techniques include:
• Stem Cell Transplant
• Blood Transfusion and Donation
• Photodynamic Therapy
• Lasers in Cancer Treatment
In addition, we are continually developing new cancer treatments which have resulted in improved overall outcomes. Deciding which approach for your treatment is entirely dependent on your specific condition and overall health along with inputs from our medical team.
Leading Oncologists in Chennai
At Fortis Malar, our team works round-the-clock to improve the quality and types of cancer treatment along with support services available to people in Chennai. Together with our team of medical, surgical and radiation oncologists, physiotherapists, dieticians, specialist cancer nurses, geneticists, physiologists, and psychologists, we provide top-notch, multidisciplinary, and holistic patient care to individuals affected by cancer to ensure the best possible medical outcomes.
Thanks to our comprehensive and combined experience in treating various types of cancer including complex cases, we can assure that each and every single one of our patient will receive the highest continuum of care & treatment from a team of nationally and internationally recognized oncologists, who are dedicated to the latest innovations in cancer care.